Without doubt Bluehost is one of the most popular hosting providers. They’ve been officially recommended by WordPress for years and are one of the biggest brands in the EIG portfolio. But they are certainly not without their detractors, and sometimes the negative reviews have been for good reason. If you find yourself unsatisfied with the service provided by Bluehost then this post is for you.
In this article, we’ll take a look at five of the best Bluehost alternatives and highlight their standout features in the context of speed, performance, customer support, and pricing.
Article Quick Links:
- The problem with Bluehost
- What to look for in an alternative
- Our top five alternatives
- Tell us who you think is the best alternative to Bluehost
The Problem With Bluehost
Although you’ll often hear that Bluehost is generally plain ‘bad’, we don’t think this is entirely fair purely on a performance basis given their performance in our own comprehensive testing.
That said, while Bluehost is one of the most widely-used web hosting providers, there are several reasons why you may want to try a different web host:
- Unsatisfactory customer support. Bluehost has ended its email-based customer support in order to focus on delivering instant support. This isn’t ideal for situations where you need help resolving advanced issues that may require more time or the need to share screenshots or files.
- Unavailability of monthly billing option. Bluehost’s subscription plans start at a 12-month package. In other words, Bluehost doesn’t offer a month-to-month plan so you need to pay for a minimum of one year in advance.
The good news is that there are many alternatives out there if you really don’t want to go with Bluehost. In the next section, we’ll step through some of the key factors you should look for in a Bluehost alternative.
What to Look for in a Bluehost Alternative?
Here are the key factors you should look for in a Bluehost alternative:
- Technical performance. You need a hosting solution that offers fast page loading speeds and can handle a sudden increase in site traffic. Your hosting provider should have proven uptime guarantees and a good performance track record.
- Customer service and support. Go for a hosting solution that offers round the clock technical support through multiple support channels. You should be able to get in touch with customer support over the phone, live chat, and email. The customer support department should be able to help you troubleshoot WordPress issues and get your site back online as fast as possible.
- Pricing. Choose a hosting provider that’s cost-effective and gives you the most bang for your buck, and ideally one that atleast gives you the option of paying month to month (though often this comes at a premium) if you are not ready to commit to an entire year.
In addition to this, you should also consider other factors such as email hosting and automated backup services, based on your specific needs.
Top 5 Alternatives to Bluehost
Below we’ll go through five of the top Bluehost alternatives on the basis of performance, customer support, and pricing plans:
SiteGround is a popular web hosting service that focuses on individuals, freelancers, and small businesses that receive 10,000 to 100,000 visits per month.
Its plans are perfect for users with modest hosting needs. Depending on the plan you purchase, you get the standard features i.e. 10GB, 20GB, 30GB of storage space. The entry-level plan gives you access to one website, whereas other plans offer multiple sites.
- Offers free CDN (Cloudflare Content Delivery Network) setup.
- Free SSL certificate.
- Automatically creates site backups and offers WordPress updates.
- Uses advanced caching techniques to deliver fast loading speeds.
- Helps keep your site secure by monitoring WordPress vulnerabilities.
- Offers automated migrations with the WordPress Migrator plugin.
Based on our testing, SiteGround ranked highest with an impressive 82 YSlow Grade and 100% uptime. The homepage took 0.940 seconds to load and the host scored 0.614 seconds on average on Load Impact.
Pricing: Starting at $3.95 per month (see all plans)
GreenGeeks is a green hosting company that offers eco-friendly and energy-efficient web hosting. Founded in 2008, it has data centers located in Chicago, Phoenix, Toronto, Montreal, and Amsterdam.
It delivers fast, scalable, and secure web hosting along with 24/7 expert support. In addition to this, it’s hosting plans are nominally priced and come with many powerful features.
GreenGeeks’ Lite plan offers one website while other plans offer unlimited websites. Plus, you get unlimited storage space and data transfer. It’s perfect for blogs, freelancers, and small businesses that are just getting started.
- Offers unlimited web storage space and data transfer.
- GreenGeeks embeds several technologies together including scalable computing resources, SSD, Optimized LiteSpeed and MariaDB, PowerCacher, and CDN.
- Free domain name for the first year.
- You get 24/7 technical support that can be reached over the phone, live chat, and email.
- Offers free website migration and a drag-and-drop website builder.
In our performance testing, GreenGeeks ranked third with an 88 YSlow Grade and 100% uptime. The homepage took slightly over one second (1.230 seconds) to load and the host scored 0.612 seconds on average on Load Impact.
Pricing: Starting at $2.95 per month (see all plans)
Site5 is a web hosting service founded in 2001 that focuses on providing high performance to its customers. The company provides in-house customer support through live chat and documentation (knowledge base and FAQs). Additionally, the company handles its own engineering and development activities and promises no hidden charges with their pricing plans.
Site5 is perfect for small websites that receive around 10,000 monthly visitors. Its entry-level plan offers one website while the other plans offer unlimited sites. In addition to this, it offers free migration services.
- Provides unmetered bandwidth and disk space for your website.
- Offers 24/7 live chat in addition to its wiki-based customer support as well as community forums.
- Nightly server backups are also available.
- Offers free migration.
Site5 ranked number four with an 83 YSlow Grade and 99.94% uptime. The homepage took 1.055 seconds to load and the host scored 0.754 seconds on average on Load Impact.
Pricing: Starting at $6.95 per month (view all plans)
Arvixe was established in 2003 and offers shared hosting, VPS hosting and managed dedicated hosting as well as Linux and Windows hosting.
Arvixe’s hosting plans are designed specifically for individuals, freelancers, and small companies and offer unlimited data transfer and disk space. Additionally, it comes with a free site builder tool, email accounts, free online store, free domain (free forever upon purchasing a hosting plan), and control panel. Its 24/7 US-based customer support is available for an extra fee.
- It offers scalable, fast, and secure WordPress hosting.
- Comes with WordPress pre-configured and pre-installed.
- Gives you access to international data centers.
- It offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space.
In our performance testing, Arvixe ranked fifth with an 83 YSlow Grade and 100% uptime. The homepage took under a second (0.874 seconds) to load and the host scored 0.738 seconds on average on Load Impact.
Pricing: Starting at $7 per month (view all plans)
iPage is a web hosting company that offers unlimited bandwidth and disk space along with no restriction on the number of domains and MySQL databases you have. It comes with a blog setup wizard, a free drag-and-drop site building tool that lets you create up to six pages, and photo gallery setup wizard in addition to other powerful features.
- Thousands of free templates along with a drag-and-drop site builder.
- Ad credits worth $200 for various search engines like Google and Bing.
- Offers free domain registration for one year.
- No limit on the number of email addresses on your domain.
- Offers email forwarding and autoresponders capabilities.
- Comes with a built-in analytics tool for monitoring and tracking your website’s performance.
In our performance testing, iPage boasts a 76 YSlow Grade and 100% uptime. The homepage took 1.323 seconds to load and the host took only 0.585 seconds on average on Load Impact. This is the fastest average load time in our performance testing.
Pricing: Starting at $1.99 per month (view all plans)
We covered the standout features on offer with some of the highest performing Bluehost alternatives. By comparing and contrasting different hosting providers, you’ll be able to find the right web hosting solution for your specific needs.
- If you’re looking for a scalable yet cost-effective web host with powerful features and excellent performance, we recommend going with SiteGround.
- And if you’re a freelancer or startup, we recommend going with GreenGeeks. You’ll get access to round the clock technical support from experts in addition to eco-friendly web hosting.
- iPage is the right choice for those of you who are after fast page loading times. The hosting provider performed exceptionally well in our own performance testing and is a cost-effective option for individuals, freelancers, and small businesses.
What features do you take into account when choosing a hosting provider? Let us know by commenting below.
Disclaimer: this site is supported by affiliate income which we make if you sign up with any of the hosts recommended here after clicking through from this page. This is at no extra cost to you and helps support the site so we can continue to develop and release free plugins and themes.