WP Jurist

scr reponsive jurist 1

We developed WP Jurist with law firms in mind. In many ways it is typical of our style with big, bold and simple design intended to be easily customized.

Video Demo

With this theme we’ve added something extra which we think will really appeal to law firms, but also any professional services organization that wants to profile it’s people on the website. Bundled with the theme is our People plugin to power a custom post type designed for staff profiles. Of course we have a profile page template to display all the staff profiles as well as individual profile pages for each staff member. Check out the demo to see this in action.

The theme comes with a home page template with a big gorgeous slider that can feature any images from a gallery or your latest posts from the blog. It also has a handy widget area which is ideal for featuring your service or practice areas and a separate custom blog template which displays posts in a contemporary mason style. Post types are supported, and you can choose whether to display an author bio at the bottom of all posts.

WP Jurist is released under the GPL V2 license.

For theme support please visit our WordPress help desk.

Check out our new tutorial for help building your blog.

333 thoughts on “WP Jurist

1. Matt says:

Ah wait, think I’ve figured out it’s limited to 10, is that the syndication feed setting? If so then think I get it now excuse my stupidity!

1. Charles says:

Hi Matt, the other thing you can try is using the WordPress ‘sticky posts’ functionality to control which posts appear in the slider.

2. Gustaf says:

Hello,
    I’ve used your excellent theme to create the new site for my law firm. I am using WPR Menu plugin to create a mobile platform menu and am satisfied with the result, but I can not seem to find the option to disable the themes own “reduced menu” option. As of now, the reduced menu and the WPR Menu are active simultaneously.
    So:
    -Where can I adjust the menu settings in the theme, and preferably remove/deactivate the themes own reduced menu?
    -Also, I would like to adjust the WPR menu to be active until the “full theme menu” kicks in. Where can I adjust the full menu activation width?
    Sincerely,
    Gustaf

1. Kris says:

Download Simple Custom CSS WordPress plugin then go to Appearance -> Custom CSS and add this code,
      #wprmenu_bar{display:block!important;} header[role="banner"]{margin-top:40px;}
      @media screen and (max-width: 849px) {
      nav[role="navigation"]{display:none;}
      }
      @media screen and (max-width: 800px) {
      header[role="banner"]{margin-top:0;}
      }

To adjust the width of the Full menu, here is the code,nav[role="navigation"]{width:/*insert width value here*/;}

3. Sam says:

Hi. When I use certain plugins, the plugin css is overridden by the theme css and as a result, it displays bullet points. Where can I edit the theme to remove this? For example, see the header image on this page, with the black bullet point displayed in the corner: http://www.developmentinaction.org/india-programme/internship-placements/

1. Charles says:

Hi Sam, I gather you have solved this as I do not see any bullets in the header.

4. Jake says:

Hi. I’m just wondering whether it is possible to change the size of the thumbnail images on the articles that appear on the homepage e.g. those that appear under latest news on your demo site?

Thanks

Jake

1. Kris says:

Go to wp-jurist theme folder and open content-alt-homepage.php then on line #5 and #11, you can change the array values(this values represent the sizes of the images). For example for line #5, the default array value is array(75, 75), you can change it to array(150, 150) and you can apply this also to line #11.

5. James says:

I have been using jurist for a while and have been able to enter the option of which “post” I wanted featured on the slider. Today, that option is no longer available. Please advise.

1. Charles says:

Hi James, can you be more specific? Has anything else changed? We havn’t issued any updates to the theme for a while so I really don’t know what has changed at your end. You can use the sticky post function to select which posts appear in the slider, is this what you have been doing? I see you have been working with an agency, Mariposa, to run the site. Perhaps you can ask them what has changed.

6. Das says:

I am using the advocator theme, and when I add a child theme to it, for some reason the appearance of the child theme changes. All the links seems to work, but the logo dissapeared and the navigation bar is not visible. Do you know what might be causing the problem. please help!

1. Kris says:

Please send a link of your website. thanks

7. Leni says:

Hi there! Thank you very much for this amazing (and free! ) theme! I have one question: I am using the Alt_Homepage, w Posts/Slider template and I want the slider to display only one category of posts/ or alternatively, to hide some categories. I managed to do it for the page (bottom) but I don’t know how to do it for the slider. Thank you in advance!

1. Kris says:

It is not advisable to edit template files in wordpress themes so you need to create a child theme for wp jurist, so create a new folder wp-jurist-child and then inside that folder create style.css and copy this sample code,
      Theme Name: Wp jurist
      Description: Child theme for Wp jurist
      Author:
      Template: wp-jurist
      @import url("../wp-jurist/style.css");
      /* write custom css below */

Then copy the alt_homepage_with_slider.php file from the parent theme to your child theme folder and change the value of $args in line 10, here is the code,
      $args = array(
      'posts_per_page' => 10,
      'post_status' => 'publish',
      'category_name' => 'sample-category-1'
      );

1. LENI says:

8. Simon says:

Hi. Is it possible to change the dimensions? I want to keep the width as 100% but need to alter the height.

Thank you in advance!

1. Charles says:

Hi Simon, I presume you mean the dimension of the slider?

1. Simon says:

Yes, sorry, I did mean the dimensions of the slider!

9. Jake says:

Hi. I am trying to get the committee to display in a particular order using the people plugin: http://developmentinaction.comxa.com/about-us/committee/

The first half seems to display in the correct order of how I would like it to, however, the bottom half of people is in a different order and I cannot seem to change this, can you help? Thanks.

1. Kris says:

You can download this plugin, Post Types Order to make your committee page in proper order.

1. Jake says:

Thanks Kris, that’s a great help. I have set the order using the plugin you recommended. However, when I resize the screen and the responsiveness kicks in, it makes the order change? Is this a bug or is there a way round this? Also, just one more question, is it possible to change the font size of the name/job title on the people plugin and if so, where can I do this? I’ve tried looking for the plugin css file but cannot find it. Thanks.

1. Kris says:

The committee page has a masonry. Masonry automatically place elements in optimal position based on available vertical space. For more information about masonry, follow this link Masonry. Download Simple Custom CSS wordpress plugin and activate it then go to appearance -> Custom CSS and add this code,
          .grid-box .entry-title, body.page .grid-box .entry-title{font-size:your desired size here;}

10. gary says:

Hi Charles, quick question. Have looked through a lot of the comments but cant seem to find the answer…

I have installed this theme and its great. I want to hide the latest posts section below the three widgets on the front page. I have tried everything and used multiple template types. I like the look of the slider and widgets – just want to remove everything below that. any ideas.

cheers

1. Kris says:

Download Simple Custom CSS wordpress plugin then activate the plugin. Then go to Appearance -> Custom CSS and add this code,
      .alt-home-cont{display:none;}

11. Thiago says:

Good Morning.

I selected some features images in index.
    But I’d like the preview images were differentes than the banner feature images.
    How do i do that?

1. Charles says:

Hi Thiago, I’m sorry I don’t understand your question. Can you please elaborate?

12. Dan says:

I love this theme – thanks Charles. However, I can’t seem to add an ‘image’ widget to the Alt gallery slider template homepage (to show 3 featured pages beneath the slider). I saw that I need Jetpack installed, but I checked and it is. Any ideas? Are there Jetpack settings that need to be configured for it it work?

1. Kris says:

In your WordPress admin, Just go to Appearance -> Widgets, then place a widget inside Homepage Widget Area. That’s all!

2. Charles says:

Hi Dan, this is the plugin we used for the widgets on the demo site: https://wordpress.org/plugins/image-widget/

13. David says:

Hi,

is there a way to add a visible [read more…] link for each post? Currently visitors only have the option to click on the post title and adding the tag doesn’t have any effect except to break the the excerpt at your chosen point.

Thanks,

David

1. Kris says:

Locate functions.php inside wp-jurist theme folder then on line 637 which is this code
      , changed that code to this

14. TOM says:

love the theme and have been pleased with the usability…..one question i have is about the main navigation menu….

currently it is being split into two lines and i want to bring up to one line….i have looked in the styles.css to edit it but am unclear about how to effect the padding…..

i have a child theme that i am making edits to

any help would be appreciated

1. Kris says:

In 1020px of width and above, the navigation is in one line. One of the solution is to change the font size of the menu items when the screen size reach 1020px in width, in your case font size will be 11px (too small, right?).
      If you like this solution, you can add this code in css file, @media only screen and (max-width: 1020px) {div.menu ul li a{font-size:11px;}

Another solution is to make the mobile navigation menu appear when the maximum screen size is 1020px.

15. Ashley says:

I am trying to remove everything under upcoming events on our homepage. How do you go about doing that?

1. Kris says:

Just go to your wordpress admin in Appearance->Widgets then locate Homepage widget area. Then you can now remove everything under upcoming events.

2. Charles says:

Hi Ashley, I think maybe you were wanting to remove not just the widgets, but everything else below the slider on the home page template too including the latest posts and sidebar, yes? If so that is a fairly major template customization. I recommend you go to Codeable or Elto for help with that.

16. Sue says:

I installed the theme (barrister and jurist) but can’t get it to look like the demo. Is there any way to install demo content and then customize it with my content? Thank you! 🙂

1. Charles says:

Hi Sue, not that’s not possible. I can tell you that we used a third party plugin for the home page widgets on those demos: http://wordpress.org/plugins/image-widget/

17. Nicole says:

I would like to change the color of the navigation menu on the home page. Which template contains the CSS that I need to modify? I’ve searched high & low & can’t figure it out to save my life. Thanks!

1. Charles says:

Hi Nicole, can you be more specific? Do you mean the background color or the font color? And just on the home page or on all pages? The styles in the theme are all controlled in the style.css file, but they are not page specific. If you want to change things just on the home page you are going to need to create some custom styles and conditional template coding which is all a bit more than we can go into here. Elto or Codeable might be good options to get help with this.

1. Nicole says:

Thanks for such a quick response. The font color on the main navigation menu that appears at the top of all pages. I’ll take a look at the style.css file. I must just be overlooking it.

Thanks, again.

1. Charles says:

Hi Nicole, look around line 896 of the style sheet. You might also be interested in this quick tutorial video we made a little while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zSUIm1KrPs

1. Nicole says:

Found it! I was able to make the change. Thank you for your quick replies and assistance. I appreciate the help.

18. Manny says:

Hi Charles,

We need your help. We are stuck while working on responsive menu. We want to make the changes in the responsive menu. But we are unable to customize it. Cna you please guide me if we have to make the changes in HTML code and css to make the theme menu responsive as per our requirement so we can do this. Or in which file we have to make the html and css changes ?

And is it feasible with this theme to make the changes in responsive menu ??

Waiting for your response.

Manny

1. Charles says:

Hi Manny, any changes are possible, though I can’t promise to be able to guide you every step of the way. What exactly do you want to achieve? This theme is responsive (along with the menu).

1. Manny says:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply. We simple want to disable the current responsive menu and want to keep same menu of desktop version through out all media screens.
        Like we are opening the website on Mobile then defualt menu links should be showing. There should not be any menu button to click and get the links. All menu links should be default on the mobile layout.

I hope you are clear with my concern ?

Waiting for your response

1. Charles says:

Hi Manny, I am bit confused still sorry…You say first that you want to disable the responsive menu and ‘keep same menu of desktop version though out all media screens’, and then you say ‘…All menu links should be default on the mobile layout.’. I’m not sure which it is.

Either way I actually suggest you contact Elto or Codeable for a quote on this as it is a non-trivial change which I couldn’t simply address here in the comments.

19. Luca says:

Do you also know which file php i should open for remove the color of the div “.inner-title-wrap”?
    I have done a child theme, and i set the background to “transparent”, but if you look with firebug, or chrome element inspector you can see that this property is crossed out (overridden?) by another, which isn’t in style.css, but in a “style” block in the html file, in turn generated dynamically.

1. Kris says:

Hello luca, under appearance on your wordpress admin there is customize option and the colors is set in there and it is universal. So that is why .inner-title-wrap is being overridden by that color.

So in order to solve your problem, please locate functions.php on the WP Jurist theme, in line 263, remove .inner-title-wrap . Then on your child theme, you can now set the background color of .inner-title-wrap.

Thanks.

20. Luca says:

Thanks for the timely response, but I’d already solved after watching your video. It’s enough to change the template of the static main page. But now I’ve already another issue: in the static page i can’t see the widgets in the “static page sidebar”, but i see in the sidebar the widgets of “blog sidebar”.

1. Charles says:

Hi Luca, the static page widget area will show those same widgets by default if you define nothing else. Add whatever widgets you want to this sidebar area to override the defaults. There is also a full width page template you can apply to static pages which has no sidebar.

21. Luca says:

Hi John, this theme is very beautiful, congratulations!
    But i’m having some issues with the “Home Page Widget Area”. No one of the widgets in this section appear in the home page, i can’t understand why.

1. Charles says:

Hi Luca, can you share a link to your site?

22. John says:

I added a image logo for the webpage and because of the logo design the menu is a bit higher than the logo. It’s not beautiful.

How to bring the menu a bit lower or on the same level with logo?

1. Charles says:

Hi John, can you provide a link to your site?

1. Charles says:

Hi John, looks like you have resolved this.

23. Dennis says:

Alt_homepage w/ Gallery Slider template.
    show the whole side article and not only a part.

Thanks for the answer, Is it possible to tell which files need to be changed.

1. Dennis says:

I´ve found the files! Thanks

24. Dennis says:

Very nice theme, i have a question about Alt_homepage w/ Gallery Slider template.
    It is possiple to show the whole side article and not only a part.

I use static side and I want to show the whole side/article on this template?

1. Charles says:

Hi Dennis, that would be possible though I don’t know how good if it would look honestly. To achieve this you would need to edit the template files and possibly the style sheet. That goes a bit beyond the level of support we can provide here, but you are welcome to change anything you want of course.

25. Diana says:

Hello
    I would like to ask why the WP Jurist theme does not include the image which was shown in the example of it?

1. Charles says:

Because those are commercial images we paid to use in our demo and we are not legally allowed to distribute them with the theme. You can buy rights to your own images from sites like istockphoto.com or shutterstock.com.

1. Vic says:

Hi Charles. Nice theme; one of my new (law firm) clients chose it so I’m beginning development. Let me just ask this question so I’m clear. Can I use the 4 slider images you show in your demo?

If not, are they all available on istockphoto.com or shutterstock.com?

Thanks in advance,

Vic

1. Charles says:

Hi Vic, those images are not bundled with the theme. We licensed them for the demo from Shutterstock.com. Cheers.

26. anto says:

how to change the language of the calendar?
    for example only the “day symbols” and month name.

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @anto,

Thanks for using our theme

If you mean Calendar widget sorry it’s part of the WordPress core and there’s nothing we can do here at support, thanks

27. David says:

Hi, Jurist is a great theme. Much obliged for it. A quick question that may be beyond the scope of a comments section but I’ll check anyway: is there an easy way to make the homepage ‘Latest News’ lists of posts display only the posts from a specific category?

I’d like to display only those posts I mark ‘Recent News’ – all the other categories I’m creating I’m using for content organisation rather than news.

Any help appreciated.

Ta,

David

1. David says:

Actually, it’s okay. Just figured it out – using the WP Hide Posts plugin.

Again, great theme.

Thanks.

28. Jake says:

Hi. Is there any way of keeping the primary menu but disabling/overriding it once a certain screen size is met? I.e. keeping the full primary menu but not the collapsed mobile version?

1. Charles says:

Hi Jake, the theme is responsive to screensize. Try the demo site out here: http://www.studiopress.com/responsive/

If it isn’t working for you then I’d guess you have any issue with your style sheets.

29. Geoff says:

Using wp-jurist latest release.

I’m having an issue with the slide show on the home page.

The timing on the first slide transition doesn’t seem to take into account the amount of time it takes to download the slide when a visitor comes to the site for the first time.

By the time the first slide actually appears on the screen, the Auto Play Speed is already used up and the slide transitions immediately to the next slide.

This is dependent on the Internet connection speed of the visitor to the website. If they have a fast connection, it isn’t a problem, but if they have a slower connection, they never get to look at the first slide before it transitions to the next slide.

It looks like the download time is included in the time for the first slide, so if you set a 1.5 second autoplay speed and it takes 1 second for the slides to download, then the first slide is shown only for 0.5 seconds.

Am I correct that the slider cannot recognize when the slides have finished downloading to start the autoplay clock?

What do you suggest? Perhaps, add an extra 1 or 2 seconds to the first slide? There would be nothing wrong with the 1st slide displaying a little bit longer when the visitor has a fast Internet connection.

1. Charles says:

Hi Geoff, your assessment is correct. The theme isn’t aware of the download speed for any given visitor. You can do a couple of things to try and address this:

1. Make sure your images for the slider are well optimized so that they load as fast as possible. I’d start here.
      2. And as you suggest, add some time to the slider delay. This will affect all transitions, but might be preferable.

Hope that helps.

1. Geoff says:

The images are optimized, but it is still dependent on the visitor’s download speed. – Also, since the dimensions of the slides are rather large, you can’t compress them too much or they start looking bad.

Do happen to know where in the Java Script I might look to add a bump of time to the first slide?

In fact, have you considered the possibility of updating the options to have a “first slide display time”? I’ve never seen that feature and I believe it would be well received since the first slide is generally the newest one added to the site and could use a little longer before it moves on to the other slides.

1. Ryan S says:

Google or even Yahoo both have suggested image compression that is enough for slow ISP, also if you talk about speed there’s a lot of things include there, hosting, code, optimization and even better buy CDN.

The slides do slides with same time on all items, you can find it in index.php file.

Hope that helps

30. Aure says:

Hi Charles,

Quick question : is that doable to make the widget Blog Sidebar completely disappear?
    I mean if the space is left blank (1), you can still see a white rectangle on the front page(2)

(1) http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2014/05/19/1405191250037327.png
    (2) http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2014/05/19/140519125134324877.png

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @aure,

Thanks for using our theme

Why not use empty widget? in every widget it create padding and border so it make more elegant and if you want to change it, yeah it’s possible but you have to change the code like adding the design(padding, border) in the widget content instead of the widget wrapper.

You can contact our premium support at help@wpdevshed.com

Hope that helps