WP Advocate

scr reponsive advocate 1

The WP Advocate theme is a entirely corporate design suitable for professional services businesses such as accountants and law firms.

Upload your own logo, choose one of the bundled background textures or upload your own rich imagery to brand your site. The dedicated home page template can also slide a range of brand images in the background, powered by a native WordPress gallery. The Advocate theme also comes bundled with an optional plugin to add a custom post type for staff profiles. Combined with the bespoke profile template this makes it easy to highlite the most important part of your business, the people!

Thanks to Thierry Francois, we now have a French translation for the Advocate theme updated to latest version of the theme (2.2). Download here.

If you have been charged with setting up your first website please read our beginners guide to starting a blog, and before you set anything up, make sure you’ve browsed our comprehensive hosting performance comparisons for popular hosts like Siteground, Bluehost and GreenGeeks.

213 thoughts on “WP Advocate

1. BJMac says:

I am trying to display recent posts with a particular category in the Bottom Content area of the Advocate home page options. Currently we’re using column shortcode; for the first column the one third code is the following:

[one_third]
    [recent_posts title=”News” amount=”2″]
    More News
    [/one_third]

But instead of displaying “recent_posts” I want to only display a particular category (i.e., HomepgNews) of posts. How can I specify this in the column shortcode?

Thanks

1. charles Charles says:

Hi BJMac, I’m not sure I follow the issue. The Advocate homepage template provides a widget area below the title and intro text (as on the demo linked above), so you can just use widgets to display what you need there and wouldn’t need to use any column short codes. To display posts from a particular category I’d suggest looking or a plugin which added a widget that enabled this. I”m sure there will be one if you search the plugin directory.

2. Jareer says:

Hi, I am unable to put a background image slider on People pages, like in your demo. Am I missing something? Thanks.

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Jareer, the slider only works on the alt_homepage. All other pages can only have a static background image (as on the demo).

3. gserafy says:

I tried but above my pay grade – I am not even sure where the wp-content/themes folder is – I guess my host File Manager (BlueHost) – or how to build a style sheet and where that file sheet is or goes. I guess I have a lot to learn unless anyone knows any easier solutions. Thanks.

1. charles Charles says:

Hi, we can help with setting up your theme as a child, but this is on a time and materials basis. If you’d like help please email us at [email protected] or you could try Tweaky as another low cost way to get professional help. Cheers.

4. gserafy says:

I am version 1.05 – if I click to update now will I lose all of my customization? Thanks.

1. charles Charles says:

Yes, before you upgrade you should set up the theme as a child theme, moving all customized template files to the child folder. This is very important otherwise any theme update will overwrite your local customizations.

5. gserafy says:

Hi Charles, any luck yet on that possible update mentioned above? Thanks.

1. charles Charles says:

Yes, we released a new version which addressed this issue. 1.0.7 is now available from WordPress.org. Which version are you running?

6. Ivan says:

Hi Charles.
    I can’t find a way to change the default background color (gray) on the default page template. Can you help me. Thanks in advance.

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Ivan, all the customization features can be found under Appearance > Customize.

7. Steven says:

Hi again Charles, figured out my issue. Seems that the “Custom Newsletter Template” By cybernetikz is not compatible. Oh well… gotta find a new one.

Thanks!

8. Steven says:

Hi Charles,
    Thanks for the tip, I think that’s they I’m going to go for logging in; as you suggested a separate link/page.

One more question; it seems that my alt_homepage has gone missing?? not sure what happened but I can’t get it to display correctly. The Intro text background won’t display and the widget areas are not displaying?

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Steven, it looks like you may have inadvertantly changed the template assigned to the home page? Or perhaps you set a different static page as the home page? Whichever it may be check that your home page is actually using the Alt_home page template.

9. Juan-Emil says:

Hi

I’m busy designing a new website for my company and I like the look of your template.
    I would like to know how to remove the title on the home page like what is shown on the theme preview. Please could you help.

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @juan,

Thanks for using our theme

You can remove or comment it in content.php at line #5, make sure you’re using child-theme

10. Mony Coleman says:

I figured the image thing out 🙂 thanks!

11. Mony Coleman says:

Thank you for such a quick reply to my last question. I am trying to use the simple image widget recommended above for the front page widgets. On the demo site there is a nice contrasting white background on those widgets so the text shows up very clearly. The background on mine is transparent so that the text is directly on my main background image and is next to impossible to read. Do I need to do something to the code to make the white background show up?

12. Mony Coleman says:

I love this theme. A quick question. How can I disable the page titles? I found the code but I don’t want to remove bits and pieces if there is an easier way. I tried the toggle title and disable title plugins and neither of them worked. Thanks so much for such a great theme! 🙂

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Mony, you’ll need to edit the template files to achieve this, and of course should make sure the theme is set up as a child theme first so that future updates don’t overwrite your local customizations.

13. Steven says:

Hello,
    First off, thank you for an awesome theme!

I’m trying to figure out how to put a member login either to the far right of the menu or even better in the header opposite to the logo? (Again far right) I’m not sure if I have to create a custom widget area or is there a better way? Also, I’m hoping that it will still look OK on mobile devices. I’m a complete noob to WordPress and just feeling my way around. Any suggestions?

BTW, I am using the alt_homepage template.

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Steven, you site looks great.

The way to do what you describe would be to edit the header.php template and add the code for your login area there…that said, of course I have no idea how that login functions? I presume it is dynamic and changes to a logout link or something simmilar once the user is logged in? And getting it to be responsive may require some CSS coding.

A simpler solution may be to add a link to the main nav pointing to a static page with the login.

14. gserafy says:

Great – thanks.

15. gserafy says:

Sorry about that – can’t get the small blank boxes off the bottom of my pages, someone responded to go to single-content.php and remove line 7 – I only have a content-single.php and line 7 does not look like what I need to remove – something about header? Thanks.

1. charles Charles says:

Hi, on further investigation I think this might be a bug in the page template code. We’re working on this and will issue an update asap. Shouldn’t be more than a few days.

16. gserafy says:

code is not pasting over properly

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @gserafy,

I’ve remove your previous comment, please don’t paste any code, we know the code, just explain what’s your issue or send us screenshot if you can’t explain it well or for us for reference.

Thanks

17. gserafy says:

Thanks, one more question – not on my homepage but my other pages there is a blank box at the bottom – how do I get rid of that?

18. Zazou says:

Hello,
    how can we implement the slide of background images?

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Zazou, the background slider only works with the Alt_homepage template. Assuming you have a static page using that template you can simply add a regular WP gallery of images to that page content and the template will slide the images in the background.

19. gserafy says:

How can I remove the date and author of my posts? I don’t know code, can’t find php anything and am fairly unintelligent so simple step-by-step instructions would help! Thanks.

1. Ryan S says:

Hi,

Thanks for using our theme

You can remove it in single-content.php file at line #7 or the wp_advocate_posted_on() function.

Hope that helps

20. Nacho says:

is this theme fully compatible with buddypress?

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Nacho, we’ve not tested it with Buddypress so I can’t be 100% sure, but I can say it is a pretty standard WordPress theme built on a commonly used framework so I have no reason to think it would be incompatible.

21. RoiVitoPeleg says:

Hi guys!
    The them looks great!
    I’m having a problem with the thext displayed on the home page.
    I can’t get the line to break
    Even though I click Enter on the edit page, when I update the page and reload the front page the text is still on one line
    Any suggestions?

1. Vizion says:

what line do I adjust in the alt-hompage editor to allow line breaks?

RE: Hi RoiVitoPeleg, I guess you mean the intro text on the home page template? If so then yes, this is by design. The template strips out extra html (like line breaks) to keep the intro nice and simple. You’ll need to edit the template to adjust this.

22. Gergely Galambos says:

Dear Charles!

I’ve got a problem with the font used by the theme. In my alphabeth, we got some letters, like “?” and these ones are displayed with a different kind of font, which is very annoying.

Is there a way to change the default font?

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @gergely

Thanks for using our theme

If you mean through Theme settings, unfortunately not, but it’s easy to change or update fonts, you can use Google Fonts, CSS3 @font-face and update body font-family depending on your chosen method and you’re good to go.

Hope that helps

23. Alessandro Oliviero Degiusti says:

Excelent theme!!!! Saludos desde Argentina!

24. FEDERICA says:

Hi! I’m setting up the Alt_Homepage, but I don’t understand how to create a slideshow on the background.
    I have already set up ‘seconds options’, but nothing happen!
    Actually it’s not possible to choose more than one image …

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Federica, try adding a regular WordPress image gallery to the body of that static home page. The Alt_home template will pick this up and slide the images in the background.

25. tyler says:

HI, beautiful templates, I applied.But I want to put the LOGO in front of the MENU, in the same line, should be how to operate?

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Tyler, that will require some template customization beyond the support we can provide here in the comments. If you would like our help with this please email us the details at [email protected] and we’ll work up an estimate. Thanks.

26. Jim B says:

Hi
    I have just uploaded the advocate theme – its lovely!
    I cant get the people plugin to work however. Im clearly doing something wrong – the plugin installs fine. When I create the new person, it creates fine – but when I click on the persons icon on the page (have not worked out how to upload a photo yet by the way), all I get is 404 error saying page not found…I noted that all the other metadata is not showing either such as email address etc etc. How does the plugin physically match to the file and folder structure on the server? I noted that no directory etc exists on the server which matches the permalink created by the people plugin. Help much appreciated as im a wordpress newbie. Many Thanks

1. Ryan S says:

Hi @jim,

Thanks for using our theme

Try this fix
      Go to Settings -> Permalinks and in Common Settings select Default, Save Changes and put back to where it was before and hit Save Changes again

Hope that helps

27. Gaya says:

Hello!
    I downloaded the jetpack plugin and I still can’t find the widgets you are writing about. And also when I write the headline and introtext of the pages they are not with the transparent darker background. It is shown as a regular page post, with white background and a line underneath the headline. Could you please explain a bit more in detail, please=)? I am new with wordpress aswell, perhaps that makes the easy things look complicated=) Anyway, thanks! Looking forward for your reply

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Gaya, try this image widget: http://wordpress.org/plugins/image-widget/

For the home page to look like our demo you need to do three things:

1. Set the page template to the Alt_homepage template. To do this go to the edit screen for the static page you created and look for the template drop down in the right hand column. This template will style your home page just like the demo site.
      2. Go to Appearance > Widgets and add your widgets to the Alt_homepage sidebar area
      3. Go to Settings > Reading and make sure you have set you home page to display the static page you created as above.

Hope that helps. I will get around to making a how-to video tutorial at some point!

28. thaba says:

how do i add those home page posts with images as seen on the demo and how do i add the intro text on the transparent part of people and Alt_home page template

1. charles Charles says:

Those are not posts, they are widgets. I created these using the standard image widget. If you don’t see this on your blog trying installing the Jetpack plugin and I think it comes with that these days. Theheadline and intro text on the People and Alt_home templates is just the page title and body content.

1. Ruben says:

hi – well i think that was too techi for anyone to understand. i figured it out. I set the page template in the “All pages” page to Alt home page w/ background image and recent posts started showing up below. I think you meant recent posts are these featured looking posts. goood job. that stylesheet is beautiful, i can customise so much and you wrote the comments.php beautifully. simple and guiding.

2. Babs says:

Hi charles, nice template and easy to work with. A quick question, I used gpp in making a gallery and i want to use it as background image on the Alt_homepage, I have done all I could and there wont be any slideshow on the static page, please can you put me through the step-by-step details of how I can do this as I have only been able to only add a static background image.

Then how can I reduce the height of the featured text area and also remove icons at the base of my footer? your quick response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

1. charles Charles says:

Hi Babs, I had to google “gpp” as I didn’t know what that is. I gather you mean Graph Paper Press? In any even it doesn’t matter because you don’t need it for this purpose. The Alt_homepage template can slide background images without it (just like the demo). Simply add a native WordPress image gallery to the home page content and the template will automagically slide the images in that gallery in the background. Here’s a handy tutorial on WP galleries: http://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-create-an-image-gallery-in-wordpress/ – you’ll find loads more on Youtube.

For the height of the featured text area look for the line-height and margin settings in the style sheet around lines 868 and 884.

I’m not sure what you mean by icons in the footer as the theme doesn’t have any icons in the footer. A plugin perhaps?

1. Babs says:

Thanks Charles, I have done all I could, I even changed post part of the alt_homepage.php to page cos i want it to appear as page background but it didnt still work, I have resolved to put the static image as the background image as I have tried all i can to put the slider, it worked on post but was not sliding the pictures one by one. I am new to php and so cant really figure things out well, really appreciate your efforts.

29. Manu says: