Our goal is to help WordPress webmasters build and maintain better websites. We offer a range of free themes and plugins and blog regularly, offering loads of tips and how-to’s for WordPress webmasters.
Out of the box The Bizness is a cool and flexible theme with handy customization options:
- Upload your own logo
- Change the theme colors to match your brand
- Add social media icons for your preferred networks
- Add a background image
- The theme also comes with an alternative home page template which features a classy and configurable image slider, making the theme great for small businesses who don’t want the home page to be a blog. Create a static page, apply the Alt_Homepage template and set this as the home page.
Say hello to our newest theme, Blogzine! It is the little brother of the popular Magazino theme, featuring many of the same stylings and customization options but reflecting a more traditional blog layout.
You can easily upload your own logo or background image, choose any primary theme color and it has a really flexible home page slider. With the slider you can feature the latest posts (default) or control which posts to feature using the sticky posts feature of WordPress. Overall a really nice, clean and flexible theme.
We’re really excited about our latest theme, Magazino. It is a pretty straight forward theme suited to magazine style blogs with a real focus on the imagery on the home page and archive pages. NB: For images to show up on the home page you must set the featured images for each post.
Magazino supports all the usual WordPress features like custom menus and widgets, and we’ve added some features which are often requested, like the ability to upload your own logo in place of the default text based title AND the ability to choose any color scheme you like. Literally you can use the color picker to change the main theme color to anything.
- Automatic image resizing and positioning for the slider and grid thumbnails. For each post the theme will first look for a featured image and use that for the slider and grid thumbanils, if there is no featured image it will look for the first image in the post content itself. Which ever image it uses it will automatically resize and position it as best it can for the slider and the grid. These two views have quite different proportions so we recommend you do not crop your featured images for the slider specifically because they will not look great in the grid view. Best just to upload a good sized version of an uncropped image in “regular” photo dimensions. It is impossible to do this perfectly for every image, but this will give the best results.
- The best way to control what is featured on the home page is to check the sticky post box for those posts you want in the slider.
- You can control various elements of the theme using the Customize options. Here you can do the following:
- Choose the primary theme color using the handy color picker.
- Upload your own logo to replace the standard text title
- Enter the URL for each of your social profiles. These will appear as icons in the header.
- Control the behaviour of the home page slider. You can set it to auto-advance, the delay on auto-advance as well as the slide effect (horizontal by default, vertical, tile slides or even a blind effect)
- To find the customize options login to your site and visit the home page. In the WP Admin menu bar at the top of the page hover over your site name and you’ll see a drop down including “Customize”, choose this option.
- The default theme language is English. You can also download the lang file in German (thanks to Björn).
If you are new to WordPress you should read our guide to creating your own website.
If you like this theme please help us get the word out but sharing on G+, Facebook and Twitter. Every little mention is much appreciated.
Infoist is another nice and simple blog theme. It features muted colors and nice typography, the idea being to place all the emphasis on the content. Expecting that folks will use it for personal blogs we’ve added social media buttons which are easily set up through a theme options page in the admin.
Want the best WordPress web hosting? Check out our recommendations here.
Check out our latest theme, Noteworthy. It’s a magazine style theme with a heavy focus on the featured images, and is heavily inspired by the design of USAToday.com, infact you could call it an homage.
It supports all the usual WP features like custom menus and widgets, and also has a nice reveal/hide search box and some handy social links top of the sidebar. Couple of other things to note about this theme:
- You must define featured images for your posts if you want an image to display on the home page or archive pages.
- By default the home page featured article and the list of featured articles just displays the most recent posts, but the theme is coded so that you can define what exactly appears here using the built in sticky posts feature of WordPress. The latest sticky post will be the main feature with the big image while older sticky posts will be list to the right of this. That won’t be to everyone’s taste, but we did it like this because we wanted to be able to control what was featured at the top of the page. The tiled posts will always just be the latest.
UPDATE 12/02/15 – Just updated the theme with much better handling/resizing of thumbnails. Also, we’ve just published our comprehensive guide on how to create a blog (using WordPress of course).
Here’s our latest theme. It is kinda retro in its color and font choices., but is otherwise a straight up blog theme with a handy stick post style which you can use to feature any post at the top of the home page.
Do you like the retro styling? I do, and I’m inclined to do more, but will only do that if the response is good. Cheers.
Citizen Journal is a clean and colorful blogging theme ideally suited for personal or local blogs. Built on a responsive framework it will respond to browser resolutions, supports all the usual WP features like custom menus and widgets. It also has a handy sticky post template and a full width static page template making it pretty versatile.
Newsworthy is a colorful and light blog style theme, perfect for a personal blog or local news site. It supports all the usual features including widgets and custom menus, and has a handy full width template for static page content. Download at the link above from the WordPress.org theme directory.
A variation on the popular PinBlack theme, this one in blue!
Like PinBlack this is totally inspired by Pinterest, and features home and archive pages laid out in that familiar pinterest style. To ensure each post has a thumbnail for the home page just make sure you upload a featured image for each post.
When you set up your site for the first time, you’re going to want some good WordPress hosting. We’ve done the research and our recommendations will see you right.
The Media Maven theme is a very clean and straight up blog theme. Inspired in part by the design of Apple.com, Media Maven has all the usual features you would expect from one of our WP themes including support for custom menus and widgets etc.
This is a very simple blog style theme featuring plenty of whitespace, colorful highlites and some nice typography choices. It has a full width template like all our themes so can be used for more static style sites, but it is really intended as a theme for blogs more than anything else. Like any good theme it supports all the usual features like custom menus and widgets etc.
Unashamedly inspired by Pinterest, PinBlack is a new theme which is perfect for photo and product style bogs where the posts are represented on the home and archive pages as thumbnails. The theme is responsive to browser size and will adjust accordingly. Of course it also supports custom menus and all the usual core WordPress features. Posts and static pages have a right aligned sidebar.
UPDATE 26/6/12 – An update to PinBlack was just accepted to the WordPress directory. The update fixes a problem the theme had with resizing in IE and on the iPad.