Let us find out how many Americans use Facebook in 2023.
Even some of the most popular social media applications have not lasted longer than the test of time.
Friendster, one of the pillars in the social media field in the early 2000s, had to close its doors in 2015 after failing to sustain momentum.
The same path was predicted for Facebook, which then has become the new popular kid in the lot. But until today, the Meta-owned application is still alive, and billions of people are on it.
This article is about how many Americans use Facebook, and whether Republicans are keener to use it than Democrats.
How Many Americans Use Facebook in 2023
7 in 10—that is how many Americans use Facebook in 2023. This means 70% of the country’s entire 330 million population are on the app.
And they are just not on it, half of them use it regularly and log in daily.
But it is not Facebook that got the first spot among the social media sites widely used by Americans.
It is Alphabet Inc’s YouTube that topped the list, recording an 81% affirmative rate. This means 8.1 in 10 use the video streaming platform.
Widely Used Social Media Applications in the United States
With an average person in the United States spending 134 minutes or 2 hours and 14 minutes on social media, it is not just YouTube or Facebook that is eating their time.
Below is the list of social media applications that are widely popular among the American population.
- YouTube – 8.1 in 10 American adults use the app
- Facebook – 6.9 in 10 American adults use the app
- Instagram – 4.0 in 10 American adults use the app
- Pinterest – 3.1 in 10 American adults use the app
- LinkedIn – 2.8 in 10 American adults use the app
- Snapchat – 2.5 in 10 American adults use the app
- Twitter – 2.3 in 10 American adults use the app
- WhatsApp – 2.3 in 10 American adults use the app
Facebook User Count in the United States
Facebook has undeniably managed to situate itself well in the world’s biggest economy. Here is the history of Facebook user count in the US from 2017 to 2023.
- 2017 – 282 million Facebook users
- 2018 – 285.26 million Facebook users
- 2019 – 291.00 million Facebook users
- 2020 – 297.14 million Facebook users
- 2021 – 302.28 million Facebook users
- 2023 – 307.34 million Facebook users
A projection of the number of Facebook users in the United States from 2023 to 2026
- 2023 – 312.09 million Facebook users
- 2024 – 317.00 million Facebook users
- 2025 – 321.00 million Facebook users
- 2026 – 325.00 million Facebook users
Facebook User Count per Region of the World
Here is Facebook’s monthly user count history from 2017 to 2021, clustered per region of the world.
North America (only Canada and the United States)
- 2017 – 236 million monthly active users
- 2018 – 241 million monthly active users
- 2019 – 244 million monthly active users
- 2020 – 256 million monthly active users
- 2021 – 267 million monthly active users
- 2017 – 360 million monthly active users
- 2018 – 376 million monthly active users
- 2019 – 385 million monthly active users
- 2020 – 410 million monthly active users
- 2021 – 440 million monthly active users
- 2017 – 756 million monthly active users
- 2018 – 900 million monthly active users
- 2019 – 1.01 billion monthly active users
- 2020 – 1.14 billion monthly active users
- 2021 – 1.23 billion monthly active users
Other Regions Combined
- 2017 – 654 million monthly active users
- 2018 – 723 million monthly active users
- 2019 – 782 million monthly active users
- 2020 – 892 million monthly active users
- 2021 – 1.0 billion monthly active users
Among all the regions of the world, Asia Pacific recorded the highest number of active Facebook users monthly.
It hit a billion users in 2019 and now has 1.23 billion monthly active users in the entire region.
Nevertheless, North America, particularly the United States and Canada, still shows a healthy monthly active user count that has grown in the number over the years.
Countries with the Highest Number of Facebook Users
The United States is the second country with the highest number of Facebook users from 2020 to 2021. Only India managed to top it with more than 400 million active users.
- India – 416 million total Facebook users
- United States – 300 million total Facebook users
- Indonesia – 176.50 million total Facebook users
- Brazil – 139 million total Facebook users
- Philippines – 91 million total Facebook users
- Mexico – 78 million total Facebook users
- Vietnam – 75.80 million total Facebook users
- Thailand – 58.50 million total Facebook users
- Japan – 55.80 million total Facebook users
- Pakistan – 50 million total Facebook users
Social Media Usage: Republicans vs Democrats
Even social media usage is a bipartisan race. Surprisingly, apps are widely used by one party and not by the other.
The list shows a list of all popular social media platforms in the United States and the respective usage percentage they get from either Republicans or Democrats.
- 69% of Republicans use Facebook
- 72% of Democrats use Facebook
- 30% of Republicans use Instagram
- 49% of Democrats use Instagram
- 79% of Republicans use YouTube
- 85% of Democrats use YouTube
- Only 17% of Republicans use Twitter
- 32% of Democrats use Twitter
- Only 16% of Republicans use WhatsApp
- 30% of Democrats use WhatsApp
- 25% of Republicans use LinkedIn
- 35% of Democrats use LinkedIn
- Only 12% of Republicans use Reddit
- 22% of Democrats use Reddit
- Only 17% of Republicans use TikTok
- 24% of Democrats use TikTok
As seen in the data, Republicans’ social media usage on any of the listed social media applications is lower than that of the Democrats.
The disparity is significant, except for Facebook where the party recorded a 69% usage rate versus the other party’s 72%.
Facebook is a widely popular social media application in the United States, with seven in 10 members of the population on the app.
Americans use the site for several reasons namely socializing with friends, joining support groups, and getting news updates.
Despite other applications continuously gaining share on the US market, Facebook has managed to stay significant and is among the most-used sites today.
Half of Americans regularly login on to the app for a couple of times a day. We hope you enjoyed reading our article about how many Americans use Facebook in 2023.